Deinostigma tamiana originates from Vietnam, where this small plant species can be found growing in damp soils. This plant’s form is most pronounced in younger plants; Deinostigma tamiana plants form attractive rosettes. These plants have a similar growth habit to that seen in their relations – Saintpaulia (African Violets) – their soft, mid green leaves radiate out in pretty circles.
Deinostigma tamiana plants are very floriferous, they can be almost always in bloom, producing pretty, white, trumpet shaped flowers, which are fairly large in comparison to the size of the plant, and similar in appearance to those of another close relation – Streptocarpus. The pretty flowers feature attractive purple markings or nectar guides, which direct pollinating insects to the flower’s centre, where the insect can find nectar and pollen in return for Deinostigma tamiana being pollinated.
Deinostigma tamiana flourish when grown under indirect, filtered light, in intermediate to warm temperatures. These delightful plants require moist but well-drained soil and humid growing conditions.
If you’re looking to purchase Deinostigma tamiana, these plants are often sold as Chirita tamiana or Primulina tamiana.
To see this Deinostigma tamiana specimen’s first flowering inside my Orchidarium, please click here.
To see this Deinostigma tamiana specimen’s continuing flowering, during this specimen’s following few months of growing inside this Orchidarium, please click here.
To see this same Deinostigma tamiana specimen’s next flowering period, please click here.
For photographs of this same Deinostigma tamiana specimen’s next flowering period, please click here.
To see all of my pages of flowering houseplants, please click here.
To see my Planting List for Terrariums and Bottle Gardens, please click here.
To read articles I’ve written about my terrariums and bottle gardens, please click here.
For photos and information on growing ferns, please click here.
To see more houseplant pages and pictures, and find information to help you grow a wide range of indoor plants, please click here.
To read articles about houseplants, please click here.
Articles that mention Deinostigma tamiana:
- Nov. 2021 – Cyclamen persicum
- Oct. 2020 – Deinostigma tamiana: a fabulous terrarium plant that’s almost always in flower!
- Sep. 2019 – An Update on the Orchids growing inside my Orchidarium (part four)
- Sep. 2019 – An Update on the Phalaenopsis Orchids growing inside my Orchidarium (part four)
- Sep. 2019 – An update on the LED Lights, Misting Unit, & Equipment, inside my Orchidarium (part four)
- Sep. 2018 – Planting List of Beautiful Vivarium, Terrarium, and Bottle Garden Plants!
- Aug. 2018 – Orchidarium Update (part three)
- Apr. 2018 – Orchidarium Update (part two)
- Dec. 2017 – Orchidarium update
- Sep. 2017 – Orchidarium Planting List
- Nov. 2014 – Planting List for Terrariums and Bottle Gardens