Kohlrabi, also known by its botanical name of Brassica oleracea (Gongylodes Group), is an easy to grow, delicious vegetable. It may look a little quirky, but kohlrabi is such a great vegetable!
Many cultivars of Kohlrabi are available. You can grow both purple and green coloured kohlrabi. Both colours look exactly the same when they’re prepared for eating. The inside of kohlrabi is pale green/cream in colour. It’s easy to prepare kohlrabi, you simply peel and cut away the tough outer skin. Kohlrabi is delicious, it can be eaten raw or cooked.
Kohlrabi is a brassica, it’s easier to grow than many other brassicas, often succeeding when cabbages and cauliflowers fail. Kohlrabi plants do sometimes attract cabbage white butterflies, who lay their eggs on the plants. If you find this a problem, you can protect your plants by covering them with enviromesh. Enviromesh can also protect kohlrabi from the cabbage root fly, which is another pest.
Sow Kohlrabi from March until August. Sow direct where the plants are to grow, in sunshine or partial, dappled shade, 15cm (6″) apart, or further apart, if you’re growing a larger growing cultivar.
Articles that mention Kohlrabi:
- Jul. 2020 – July in the Garden
- Jun. 2019 – Medwyn Williams wins his 12th Gold Medal, at the RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2019
- Apr. 2019 – Lovely things to do in your garden, or at your allotment, from mid-April to mid-May
- Nov. 2018 – Growing vegetables in a Vegepod!
- Sep. 2017 – Cabbages
- Jul. 2017 – Juliet Sargeant and the RHS Kitchen Garden
- Apr. 2016 – Gourmet Vegetables to Grow Now
- Nov. 2015 – Gardening Advice for Mid-March to Mid-April
- Aug. 2015 – Just Retirement: A Garden For Every Retiree, The Planting List
- Apr. 2015 – Gardening On A Budget
- Nov. 2014 – Gardening Advice for Mid-June to Mid-July
- Nov. 2014 – Garden Advice for Mid-June to Mid-July
- Nov. 2014 – Garden Advice for Mid-May to Mid-June
- Nov. 2014 – Gardening Advice for Mid-July to Mid-August
- Nov. 2014 – Gardening Advice for Mid-April to Mid-May
- Nov. 2014 – Gardening Advice for Mid-May to Mid-June
- Nov. 2014 – Garden Advice for Mid-July to Mid-August
- Nov. 2014 – Garden Advice for Mid-April to Mid-May