Paphiopedilum hirsutissimum is a lithophytic and terrestrial orchid species that originates from a large number of locations, including: Assam, Myanmar, Vietnam, India, Thailand, China, and Laos, where this orchid grows upon cliff edges, on rocks, in rocky soil, or in leaf litter.
Given the range of altitudes that this orchid species will flourish in, the varied growing conditions that Paphiopedilum hirsutissimum will succeed in, and the number of countries I have listed as this orchid’s homelands, you could be forgiven for thinking that Paphiopedilum hirsutissimum is an orchid which is commonly found. You might assume that there are extensive Paphiopedilum hirsutissimum colonies forming a healthy stronghold in a variety of locations in each country. I wish I could tell you that this is the case. Sadly, the truth is that this orchid species has been greedily collected by people wishing to grow, sell, or use wild collected Paphiopedilum hirsutissimum plants for breeding new orchid hybrids. This orchid has also been threatened by human expansion: from logging, excavation works, and the result of human activity which has degraded the areas where Paphiopedilum hirsutissimum originates from.
If you would like to grow Paphiopedilum hirsutissimum and do not wish to support those who profit from collecting this orchid species in the wild, I would advise you to buy a flask of seedlings and grow your plants on.
Paphiopedilum hirsutissimum is a medium sized orchid that favours growing in shaded conditions. In its native environment, Paphiopedilum hirsutissimum experiences a colder, drier winter.
Paphiopedilum hirsutissimum grows to around 30cm (12 inches) tall.
Articles that mention Paphiopedilum hirsutissimum:
- May. 2020 – An update on the equipment inside my Rainforest Terrarium (part two)
- May. 2020 – An update on the Paphiopedilum & Phalaenopsis orchids inside my Rainforest Terrarium (part two)
- Mar. 2020 – An update on the Aerangis, Amesiella, and Angraecum orchids inside my Rainforest Terrarium (part two)
- Mar. 2019 – An update on the Paphiopedilum and Phalaenopsis orchids inside my Rainforest Terrarium
- Mar. 2019 – An update on the Aerangis, Amesiella, and Angraecum orchids inside my Rainforest Terrarium
- Mar. 2019 – An update on the equipment inside my Rainforest Terrarium
- Sep. 2018 – Setting up my new Rainforest Terrarium
- Sep. 2018 – Rainforest Terrarium Planting List
- Aug. 2018 – Paphiopedilum esquirolei
- Apr. 2016 – RHS London Orchid Show 2016
- Nov. 2014 – Planting List for Terrariums and Bottle Gardens