Pilea involucrata is a bushy plant with gorgeous deeply-grooved, fantastically textured leaves! Pilea involucrata requires some humidity to grow well, so this is an ideal plant to include inside a terrarium. Pilea involucrata grows well in low light levels, semi shade and bright but indirect, filtered light. Harsh or direct light may scorch or damage this tender plant’s leaves.
Pilea involucrata is commonly known as the friendship plant, as this is an easy to grow and popular plant, which gardeners often grown and propagated to give away to friends. By regularly taking cuttings, you can maintain a continuous supply of plants and you’ll ensure that your plants keep in shape!
This is a tender plant that will be killed by low temperatures. Ensure your Pilea involucrata isn’t exposed to temperatures below 15C (60F).
To see my Planting List for Terrariums and Bottle Gardens, please click here.
To read articles I’ve written about my terrariums and bottle gardens, please click here.
To see more houseplant pages with pictures and information on growing a wide range of indoor plants, please click here.
To read articles about houseplants, please click here.
To read articles about orchids, please click here.
To see my orchid plant pages and find information on growing a wide range of orchids, please click here.
For photos and information on growing ferns, please click here.
Articles that mention Pilea involucrata:
- Oct. 2023 – Trialling the new BiOrb AIR 30: take a tour of my newest terrarium!
- Oct. 2018 – How to Plant Beautiful Bottle Gardens and Terrific Terrariums!
- Oct. 2018 – Glass Globe Terrarium Planting List
- Sep. 2018 – Planting List of Beautiful Vivarium, Terrarium, and Bottle Garden Plants!
- Jul. 2018 – Pilea involucrata ‘Moon Valley’
- Jun. 2018 – Pilea involucrata ‘Norfolk’
- Nov. 2014 – Planting List for Terrariums and Bottle Gardens